Critical analysis

for this unit i had to develop a bank of sounds to be used in my interactive narrative while also demonstrating my knowledge of the technological aspects of sound equipment, software, and my capability of using it.

It started off well, i had identified what sounds i needed for my game and got some advice on what equipment would be most suitable for the job. it eventually came down to the fact that since i was recording sound from specific sources as well as using foley, i would need a micro phone that was sensitive (so some form of condenser microphone) but at the same time need to find a way to reduce background noise from having an effect on my recordings, Dartmoor can get rather windy after all. taking all of this into account i eventually managed to rent out:

  • a tascam sound card
  • an ME-66 shotgun microphone
  • an XLR cable
  • and a deadcat (a fluffy object that slide on top of the microphone to reduce “popping” and interference from the wind)

recsched

Originally i was supposed to get a myriad of sounds between jan 17th-20th which included rustling leaves, streams, birdsong, footsteps and ambient chattering of people to add to the depth of my games environments.

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances i as unable to leave the house for the entirety of that following week due to illness. which left me missing a considerable amount of ambient outdoor sounds.

Upon returning on the 24th i managed to book out the equipment until then end of the day and use various items around to college site to use for foley and in the end managed to gather some sounds to use in my artefact.

My next task was to clean up the sounds and get them ready to be used in my game.

After importing all of my sounds, the first order of business was to cut out the parts i wanted to use for the final assets, which was easily done by using the snipping tool to isolate the part i wanted and delete the rest.

Once all the unwanted parts of the tracks were cut away the sounds were ready to be exported to be used for the game.

screen-shot-2017-01-27-at-16-07-17screen-shot-2017-01-27-at-16-07-32

 

Next i began working on the soundtrack for each of the levels. after recording the basic notes, i used a synth called “alchemy” and experimented with some of the settings. After a while i discovered a voice that i was happy with, i set the reverb to maximum ad bought the release up to around 50% which gave my theme a slow, ethereal feel. perfect for a magical forest.

screen-shot-2017-01-27-at-13-14-18
Forest theme in development

screen-shot-2017-01-27-at-13-13-40

 

Upon completion my soundtrack were exported via the same method as my sounds, i am very pleased with them and the fact that they will loop in the game engine.

Logic is proving to be a very powerful program, ive only scratched the surface of the alchemy tool and am astounded that i was able to create sounds like that so easily. if i have one regret, it is that i would have been happier if my game had a few more sounds in it, especially voice acting. while i am disappointed that my environments are lacking the diegetic sounds they deserve, i am none the less hopeful that the sounds i DO have will do the narrative justice.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s